Thursday, July 31, 2008

10 Blocks and 10 Dollars Later . . .

Truth be told, $20 all you can drink, 6-9pm, sounds like a GREAT idea, until you do just that -- drink all you can. But while a hangover will always ensue after this special, so will a great blog post.

This story begins after this happy (3) hour(s) + some extra partying at a friends apartment:

My roommate at the time, Anna, and I decide we are hungry as we leave our friends apartment. Meanwhile we are about 10 blocks from our apartment and are in no mood to walk. BUT, our stomachs take precedence, so we make a quick stop at a convenience store and purchase a bag of Nacho Cheese Doritos for $3.79 (don't ask why I remember that). At this point, we came up with the logic that we could walk about halfway to the apartment, and cab the rest of the way (cheaper + exercise). As we continued to walk the cravings began to set in... all I wanted was one of Anna's famous egg and cheese sandwiches.

Ingredients: BUTTER, 1 egg, 2 slices of cheese, BUTTER, 2 pieces of bread, BUTTER

so clearly its delicious. Our only problem was that we only had 1 ingredient in out apartment to make this delicious snack, BUTTER. For some reason, this did not stop us. As we walked on we decided to at least look for the ingredients roaming in and out of stores. We finally came upon a deli, yet we couldn't find a loaf of bread. Instead we ask the man at the cash register, and he tries to insist that he can just make us the sandwich we wanted ... I wasn't having it (it was Anna's sandwich, or no sandwich). We left that store with 4 pieces of bread and a 1/4 of cheese for $3.50... I felt triumphant.

The walk continued, and at this point we are way too excited about our future meal to even remember the fact that we were still walking and not taking a cab.

The walk went fast and we were in our neighborhood in no time. Here we proceeded to make our way into a closing grocery store and snatched a 6 pack of eggs.

10 blocks and 10 dollars later Anna was cooking up the most scrumptious sandwich known to man.

But the story does not end here. Sandwiches in bellies we decided to get ready for bed. At this point, Anna has realized that intoxication brings out the inner diva within and began belting Billy Joel "The Longest Time". After 3 hours of all I could drink, I decided that I could harmonize with her. So this is the picture I want to leave you with: Two young women, belting "For the longest time . . . " while playing the song on iTunes and reading along with the lyrics. Ghetto karaoke. And I loved it.

1 comment:

ferralfemme said...

that is fabulous! I am so glad you're doing this - I want to hear more stories!!!!!!!

and you're totally right about the ghetto kareoke...it was a hott mess.

xoxo